My Special Needs Network

A network to share best practices for children with special needs

Does your school have a community garden or are your children helping you plant a garden? Tell us about it/share pictures we would love to see all your hard work!

Tags: Gardens, school gardens

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are black thumbs here, but try our best.  The kids help me plant bulbs which flower and delight them.  we tried a tomato patch int he past with no luck.  This year I am determined to try square foot or lasgana gardening.

We do not have a garden at our school. Our school is only 2 years old and really needs a garden or at least some pretty plants/flowers. I have talked with the local college (an agricultural college at that) and they have agreed to help us start one next school year. I have begun working on getting donations from local stores. I have had great success with donations of wood and supplies from a local hardware store. I hope that before school starts I can have the area set up and ready to go for the kiddos to work in it day one. 

My school, Saks Elementary, in Anniston,, AL, has an Outdoor Classroom. This year we grew radishes, carrots, cabbage, herbs and spinach. We planted, cared for, and harvested the food! The lunchroom prepared the veggies for us! We loved having our homegrown veggies in our salads. This summer, we are building an amphitheater in the Outdoor Classroom. We will be hosting community gardening activities. I do not have any pictures, but the town newspaper featured us in an article!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect With Us

Check Out Our Products!

Latest Activity

Nerys Evans is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Oct 21
PAM BROGDON liked PAM BROGDON's blog post Classroom Accommodations?!? THAT IS NOT FAIR !!!!
Oct 20
PAM BROGDON posted a blog post
Oct 20
Diana Ashby Henry posted a blog post
Oct 13
Pamela Ingram is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Oct 8
Profile IconKathy Bedder, Sharon Gardner and Bobbi Grisham joined My Special Needs Network
Oct 7
Rosie Kuneva is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Oct 2
amy fontaine liked Diana Ashby Henry's blog post Sensory Processing and the Teenager: Helping Teachers, Caregivers and Teens Understand Sensory Needs
Sep 29
Profile Iconamy fontaine, Megan Paterson-Brown, CherylRankin and 2 more joined My Special Needs Network
Sep 29
Betsy Rumplik liked Diana Ashby Henry's blog post ADHD Awareness Month: Can ADHD mask sensory processing challenges?
Sep 28
Macarena Gana is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 25
Cecilia Cruse posted blog posts
Sep 24
Carrie-Anne Irby liked Cecilia Cruse's blog post Preparing Your Classroom: A Few Things Your Student with Special Needs Wishes You Knew!
Sep 19
Carrie-Anne Irby is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 16
Nancy Venable Simons is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 15
Leah Stein is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 12
Monica D. Ramirez is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 9
Diana Ashby Henry posted a blog post
Sep 8
Rosemary Casey is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 3
Cecilia Cruse posted a blog post
Sep 2

© 2014   Created by School Specialty Special Needs.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

x$('.xg_widget_profiles_blog_list .xg_span-16 .xg_module:nth-child(4) li').each(function(index) { if (index > 9) x$(this).remove() });