My Special Needs Network

A network to share best practices for children with special needs

Does your school have a community garden or are your children helping you plant a garden? Tell us about it/share pictures we would love to see all your hard work!

Tags: Gardens, school gardens

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are black thumbs here, but try our best.  The kids help me plant bulbs which flower and delight them.  we tried a tomato patch int he past with no luck.  This year I am determined to try square foot or lasgana gardening.

We do not have a garden at our school. Our school is only 2 years old and really needs a garden or at least some pretty plants/flowers. I have talked with the local college (an agricultural college at that) and they have agreed to help us start one next school year. I have begun working on getting donations from local stores. I have had great success with donations of wood and supplies from a local hardware store. I hope that before school starts I can have the area set up and ready to go for the kiddos to work in it day one. 

My school, Saks Elementary, in Anniston,, AL, has an Outdoor Classroom. This year we grew radishes, carrots, cabbage, herbs and spinach. We planted, cared for, and harvested the food! The lunchroom prepared the veggies for us! We loved having our homegrown veggies in our salads. This summer, we are building an amphitheater in the Outdoor Classroom. We will be hosting community gardening activities. I do not have any pictures, but the town newspaper featured us in an article!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect With Us

Check Out Our Products!

Latest Activity

Shelby McPherson is now a member of My Special Needs Network
13 hours ago
Becky Kerrins posted photos
yesterday
Becky Kerrins is now a member of My Special Needs Network
yesterday
Diana Ashby Henry posted a blog post
Monday
vincent Causse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic children and colors !
Jul 22
Cecilia Cruse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic children and colors !
Jul 21
Profile IconRachael U'Brien and Monique Ryan joined My Special Needs Network
Jul 21
vincent Causse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic children and colors !
Jul 18
Cecilia Cruse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic children and colors !
Jul 18
Edna is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Jul 18
vincent Causse posted a discussion
Jul 18
Cecilia Cruse posted a blog post
Jul 14
Profile IconCristy Carter and ardila tarx joined My Special Needs Network
Jul 11
ardila tarx replied to RiverKids Pediatric Home Health's discussion Summer Threrapy
Jul 10
Amber is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Jul 9
Amber liked Amber's profile
Jul 9
vincent Causse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic who refuse to eat
Jul 8
Cecilia Cruse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic who refuse to eat
Jul 8
Diana Ashby Henry posted blog posts
Jul 7
vincent Causse replied to vincent Causse's discussion autistic who refuse to eat
Jul 4

© 2014   Created by School Specialty Special Needs.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

x$('.xg_widget_profiles_blog_list .xg_span-16 .xg_module:nth-child(4) li').each(function(index) { if (index > 9) x$(this).remove() });