My Special Needs Network

A network to share best practices for children with special needs

Does your school have a community garden or are your children helping you plant a garden? Tell us about it/share pictures we would love to see all your hard work!

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are black thumbs here, but try our best.  The kids help me plant bulbs which flower and delight them.  we tried a tomato patch int he past with no luck.  This year I am determined to try square foot or lasgana gardening.

We do not have a garden at our school. Our school is only 2 years old and really needs a garden or at least some pretty plants/flowers. I have talked with the local college (an agricultural college at that) and they have agreed to help us start one next school year. I have begun working on getting donations from local stores. I have had great success with donations of wood and supplies from a local hardware store. I hope that before school starts I can have the area set up and ready to go for the kiddos to work in it day one. 

My school, Saks Elementary, in Anniston,, AL, has an Outdoor Classroom. This year we grew radishes, carrots, cabbage, herbs and spinach. We planted, cared for, and harvested the food! The lunchroom prepared the veggies for us! We loved having our homegrown veggies in our salads. This summer, we are building an amphitheater in the Outdoor Classroom. We will be hosting community gardening activities. I do not have any pictures, but the town newspaper featured us in an article!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect With Us

Check Out Our Products!

Latest Activity

Profile Iconginny moccia and n joined My Special Needs Network
Nov 16, 2015
Victoria Motto is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Nov 13, 2015
Raymond Gonzalez is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Nov 9, 2015
Leah Brodsky is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Nov 2, 2015
Stacy Heath is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Oct 26, 2015
Judy is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Oct 19, 2015
Aim Jenkins is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 29, 2015
Suzanne Accashian is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 21, 2015
Anne Wilson posted a photo
Sep 16, 2015
Anne Wilson is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 9, 2015
Jan Walters is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Sep 2, 2015
Nicole Syristatides replied to Henry De Wulf's discussion Summer Sensory Fun Contest
Sep 1, 2015
Nicole Syristatides replied to vincent Causse's discussion lacking sense of balance while carrying things and with him self
Sep 1, 2015
Profile IconKatherine Nutzhorn, Rebecca Kroner, Christine Joseph-Davies and 1 more joined My Special Needs Network
Aug 31, 2015
Colleen Pethybridge Furlong liked School Specialty Special Needs's blog post PeaPod Perfection!
Aug 24, 2015
School Specialty Special Needs posted a blog post
Aug 17, 2015
Sue Carney is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Aug 8, 2015
Profile IconLisa Gettier and Latrisa Williams joined My Special Needs Network
Jul 28, 2015
Cecilia Cruse is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Jul 23, 2015
Maricela is now a member of My Special Needs Network
Jul 15, 2015

© 2016   Created by School Specialty Special Needs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

x$('.xg_widget_profiles_blog_list .xg_span-16 .xg_module:nth-child(4) li').each(function(index) { if (index > 9) x$(this).remove() });